Monday, April 13, 2015

Malcom III

     In my previous post I wrote about King Duncan the first. Now I've found out that I am related to his son, Malcolm III. Malcolm is my 31st great grandfather and was born on March 26, 1031then died November 13, 1093- my birthday. Malcom was married twice, and while not much is known about his first wife (Ingibiorg) his second wife, Margaret, was sanctified as Saint Margaret in 1250.
     Malcolm III killed Macbeth (and Macbeths's son) in order to succeed the throne. Malcolm began the house of Canmore which ruled Scotland for more than 200 years. Many things happened in his lifetime that led to his death. He gave refuge to Saxons fleeing advancing Normans, and later invaded Northumbria where he expanded his kingdom to Cumbria. However, later he was swept aside as William II (King of Northumbria) marched into Scotland in 1092.
     Malcolm was forced to succeed to the Normans when they took his son and Brother-in-law as hostages. The following year Malcolm launched another attack on Northumbria but was killed in Alnwick, Northumberland. His brother, Donald II, succeeded the throne after his death. Then Malcolms son, David I, succeeded the throne after Donald's death.
     Malcolm's remains can be found in Tynemouth, Scotland.
                                                                    Malcolm III

1 comment: